Wednesday, September 19, 2012

It's not that I am dieting...

...but I decided to track what I was eating for a few days and really surprised myself with how often I consume multiple servings without intending to do so!  I know that most restaurant meals are larger than they 'need' to be, but it had never really occured to me that I was preparing the same size meals at home too!  My day one clocked in at over 2300 calories with no exercise.


This is how the above meal counts itself calorie wise!
The weekend experiment has left me deciding that I should be a little bit more conscious of what I am eating, for health's sake.  To the right you can see a dish I made for dinner.

This yummy meal, including baked tilapia and cheesy broccoli, is much lower in calories than what I was eating before, clocking in at a total of 342 calories.  Plus the tilapia is high in protein, I skipped butter and used the 'healthy fat' olive oil instead, and was still able to allow for cheesy broccoli!  Everything was baked in my oven for 425 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Because I am trying to show myself what individual servings should look like, I took the time to measure out the recommended serving sizes for this meal, for the first time in a really long time.  I surprised myself when I realized what one cup of broccoli looks like and that adding 1/4 cup of mild cheddar cheese (one serving) really seemed like too much cheese!

I should also mention that the meal also looks jumbo sized in the picture, but it is actually sitting on a small salad plate.

Today, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and two small snacks will clock in at 1329 calories--> 267 calories 'under budget' in respect to the suggestions that http://www.everydayhealth.com/ gives me based on my height, age, activity levels, and fitness goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment